May of 1934
The Bureau of Kyrgyz regional Party Committee decides to merge the Frunze city library with the library of the Council of Peoples Deputies, making provisions for two departments: public and scientific. The stock of the Natioanl library consists of sixteen thousand copies, which is less than in any district library in our days, and with the number of the readership – seven hundred.
August of 1934
The Library is open to the general public. On the initiative of N.K. Krupskaya the biggest libraries of the Soviet Union have participated in the formation of the Library’s assets, among them the USSR Library of the Academy of Sciences, the State Public Library named by M.E. Saltykov Shedrin (Leningrad) and others.
The Library’s structure is updated. The following departments are established: letters collection and processing, readership hall, books warehouse, delivery desk, an office for the librarians. The Staff number is thirteen workers.
Two libraries are formed on the basis of the National library, which has given out some of its books to the newly established Central City Library named after N.K. Krupskaya and to the State Public Library. The latter had an authority of getting mandatory free copy of every publication printed on the territory of the USSR.
By the Decree of the Presidium of the Supreme Council of Kirgiz Soviet Socialist Republic and at the request of the Kirgiz SSR Writers Union and Presidium of Frunze City Hall, the State Public Library is named after the revolutionist-democrat N.G. Chernyshevsky.
1941 – 1945
By the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, the Library named after N.G. Chernyshevsky has become a major book depository with the assets of eight hundred thousand different publications in more than 85 world languages.
During the first year of the War, the State Library organized seven small size libraries in three hospitals and four military organizations, where more than three thousand readers were served.
Due to the evacuation of industrial enterprises, scientific and cultural organizations to Kirgizia from the republics and regions close to the front areas, median daily attendance of the Library has increased dramatically (from 250 people a day during pre-war time to 600-700 people by the end of the war), with daily books turnover of 1100 copies.
An increased number of readership doing scientific-research work (four academicians, fifty doctors of sciences and professors, sixty-five candidates of sciences and assistant professors), became a reason to open an office of scientific workers and establish reference-bibliographic department.
An outstanding ethnographer, candidate of historical sciences Z.L. Amitin-Shapiro, takes a special place among those scientists that had been evacuated to Kyrgyzstan and acquired the second Motherland there. He is a bibliographer-enthusiast, the author of more than ten scientific and supporting retrospective bibliographic indexes on history, ethnography, economy of Kyrgyzstan, as well as of a number of articles and reviews.
In order to support wide studies in the field of natural resources, economy, history and culture of the Republic, by the end of 1942 a customer file of nine thousand members was created in the Library, that afterwards has become a basis for establishing the National bibliography.
In order to maximize full fetch out, comprehensive bibliographic filing and all-round access to the data pertaining to the national documentation and information about the republic, a department aimed at the study of local lore and scientific-supportive bibliography was established (nowadays it is a Department of national bibliography).
A methodology office was opened under the Library in order to render active methodology support to different libraries of Kyrgyzstan, as well as for targeted studies and generalization of their advanced experience.
1960 – 1970
With the move to new building, establishment of specialized departments, differentiation of main categories of readership, the Library becomes a coordinating center of activities in the field of library organization..
Years of 1964 and 1965 are characterized by the highest indications of readership pool in the history of the National Library, 44 072 and 45 845 respectively.
At the time of its semi-centennial anniversary the Library moved to a new specialized building. At the same year the Library is named after V.I. Lenin.
This year is noted for the gradual technical updating and introduction of new technologies in the Library, as well as automation and comprehensive mechanization of personnel’s work, information resources establishment and utilization, joining the world’s information processes.
By the Decree of the Government of the Kyrgyz Republic, the State Library of the Kyrgyz Republic is renamed and becomes the National Library of the Kyrgyz Republic.
On the day of the 60th anniversary of the national Library, the President of the Kyrgyz Republic A. Akaev congratulates workers of the library with the jubilee and wishes them fruitful work and success in achieving intellectual and spiritual prosperity for the people of Kyrgyzstan.